Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Blessing of God

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ" (Ephesians 1:3). Paul speaking to the church at Ephesus, remind the Ephesian believers that God through Christ has blessed them with every spiritual blessing. In other words, in Christ we have all spiritual blessing that we need.

After our service today, I began to think on the idea of blessing. God so richly blessed us today in our service that I was reminded of the passage in Ephesians. God has provided for our physical healing through stripes on His back, financial need is provided due to His riches in glory and finally through His blood salvation has been provided.

I can't remember a time that I felt so blessed as I did today. We prayed for a four year old child who has been diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy. After the service, he came to me and said, "Pastor I am strong because God has healed me". What a blessing to have this child speak for the blessing of God upon his life. He is standing on faith for his healing even at the young age of four. I could not help but think of the innocence of this little boy's confession. I think that we as adults can learn allot from a statement such as this.

Finally, I was reminded this week of my passion for pastoring God's people. I have always held to the position that when ministry begins to be a job and not a calling, then I need to look for something else to do. Satan wants us to throw in the towel and will cause us to focus on our trial rather than on Christ. A young man in our church reminded me of this when he said, "You know, it bothers me when ministry is no longer fun and fulfilling". He said that was the road he was headed down. God wants to remind the both of us, "Don't get weary in well doing..."

What a perfect reminder in Ephesians as Paul reminds us that all Spiritual blessings have been already provided - we simply need to appropriate them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Pastor Steve, I would like to comment about the 4 year old's faith. The Bible tells us to have childlike faith. So I believe the 4 year old is a great example for all of us to follow. Thanks and God bless.