Monday, December 11, 2006

Washing of the Saints Feet - Repost

I posted the following on my old blog spot. It made such an impact on me I wanted to re post it here in hopes of getting some feedback.

The “washing of the saints’ feet is one of the three ordinances that we the Church of God practice. The practice of the “washing of the saints’ feet can be traced back to the Feast of Passover. Just before Jesus was to be crucified on the cross, He instituted the Lord’s Supper and the “washing of the saints’ feet” (Matt 26:26-30, Mark 14:22-26 and John 13:1-20).
To begin this particular discussion we must first discuss two terms - ordinances and sacraments. These two terms can be used interchangeably and are a way in which we can visibly testify of the transforming work of Jesus in our lives. Understand that neither the Lord’s Supper or the “washing of the saints’ feet” are required for salvation, they are outward signs that we have received the gift of salvation.

Now, lets go back to the subject of the washing of the saints’ feet. We have all probably read the Scriptural accounts of servants who have washed the dust or muddy feet of a guest. However, when Jesus Christ washed the disciples feet it had a much deeper significance. By washing His disciples feet, Jesus was teaching His disciples of the great spiritual need of people.
French Arrington in his book, “Exploring the Declaration of Faith” notes, “foot washing is a holy ordinance that has deep significance in our relationship with Christ and in our relationship with each other.” He explains, “footwashing points to the cleansing power of the sacrificial death of our Lord. Footwashing summons believers to humble service to God and others.” These two powerful points explain the importance of practicing the ordinance of washing the saints’ feet.

One may be wondering what has triggered this post in the first place. I felt that after our Sunday morning service it would be good to discuss this particular ordinance of the church. My role as shepherd of the Freedom Life congregation is to be a servant to the people of God. In my opinion, there is no better picture of a servant than that of Jesus Christ God in the flesh washing the feet of His disciples. This signifies that He was there to serve others.

With all of that being said, let me personally reflect on the service Sunday (November 12) - specifically the foot washing portion. It was a very moving and emotional experience for me as I washed the feet of the saints of God who have pioneered the Church of God in Oklahoma. As I washed the feet of a retired minister, I was reminded of the scripture that says, “How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of of him who brings good news…” (Isaiah 52:7). I was overwhelmed as I washed this precious saints feet and began to think about the many miles those feet had traveled preaching this glorious gospel of Jesus Christ. I began to wonder how many miles those feet had traveled walking up and down the aisles of churches over the years. How many hospital visits they had made? How many baby dedications had been done? How many cemeteries they had been to? I was overwhelmed as I thought about this precious saint of God.

As I washed the feet of the teenager, I could not help but think that in my hand were the feet that would pick up the mantle of Pentecost and carry it to another generation of believers. I prayed that God would protect these young people as they find there way in the world. When I washed the feet of the child, I just prayed that God would keep his anointing and protection over our children as they go to school and mature in Christ.

When I washed the feet of the young adult, I thought about the importance of young adults being involved in the church and accepting their responsibility to be the backbone of the church. I began to think about how we as young adults get so caught up in providing for family that we forget about service to the Kingdom. We often get so busy providing that we do not take the time to be priests in our homes and fathers to our children.

Finally, I would like to say that I was truly moved as the ladies washed the feet of my wife. She is my backbone in ministry and without her I would be incomplete. She is my help-mate and many times her work goes unnoticed. So thank you for your love for our entire family. Thank you God for my wife, family and church family as we have have dedicated ourselves to serving you.

You will never know how much it meant as many of you washed my feet as well. It was one of the most humbling experiences that I have ever had in my ministerial career. I truly appreciate the love and care that Freedom Life has for your pastoral family. My prayer is that God will continue to pour out His blessings on us as we all labor for Him!

Remember, Freedom only comes through Jesus Christ!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foot washing is additional way of saying thank you to the working of the Holy Spirit in the life of another. Secondly, foot washing is a way of honoring the work of the Holy Spirit in the lives of the ones who have blessed us.

Anonymous said...

One of your Sheep
You have a very wonderful blog site, Pastor. I am proud of you. We are blessed to have such a wonderful Shepherd over our Flock in Freedom Life Church of God. Do not grow weary in well doing. I am praying for your strength. God's Grace is sufficient.

Anonymous said...

I have only just found this site but find it encouraging that we have the same understanding on this ordinance. I am a member of Church of God in the UK and discussing with some of my brethren this topic but many seem to believe that it is not an ordinance/sacrament their argument is that we need to contextualise this practice to 21st Century and that it was figurative rather than a literal practice that needs to be observed which I do not agree with